Women & Heart Disease
Lower Your Risk for Heart Disease Everyone can take steps to lower their risk for heart disease and heart attack. It’s time to get serious about adding a healthy diet and exercise into your daily life. A healthy lifestyle of eating healthy, staying active, being smoke-free, and getting regular check-ups is your best weapon to fight heart disease.
Risk Factors for Heart Disease
Know the risk factors that may increase your chances of getting heart disease.
Alcohol Blood Cholesterol Levels Diabetes Diet Heredity Obesity Physical Activity Tobacco Use
Getting answers to these questions will help you better understand your heart health. Take this list to your next appointment, and write in the answers.
What is my risk for heart disease?
– What is my blood pressure? What does it mean for me, and what do I need to do about it?
– What are my cholesterol numbers (including total cholesterol, LDL or “bad” cholesterol, HDL or “good” cholesterol,
and triglycerides)? What do they mean for me, and what do I need to do about them?
– What is my “body mass index” and waist measurement? Is my BMI in the “normal” range? Do I need to lose weight
for my health?
– What is my blood sugar level? Am I at risk for diabetes?
– What other screening tests for heart disease do I need? How often should I return for checkups for my heart health?
– What can you do to help me quit smoking?
– How much physical activity do I need to help protect my heart?
– What is a heart-healthy eating plan for me? Should I see a registered dietitian or qualified nutritionist to learn more
about healthy eating?
– How can I tell if I’m having a heart attack?
Know the Signs, and Act Immediately
It is important to recognize the signs and symptoms of a heart attack and stroke and to act immediately by calling 911. A person’s chances of surviving are increased if emergency treatment is given as soon as possible.
Send a Heart Health-e-Card
Help raise awareness about heart disease and show your loved ones you care by sending them a heart health-e-card!