Arterial stenosis is a pathological condition of blood vessels characterized by narrowing of their lumen. In most cases, the causes of artery stenosis lie in atherosclerotic lesions of the arteries, when cholesterol plaques are deposited on their walls. Over time, the pathology progresses from the stage of slight narrowing to complete blocked carotid arteries. Arterial stenosis is an extremely dangerous condition that, if untreated, can become a threat to human life.
Carotid artery disease symptoms
At the stages, carotid artery stenosis does not manifest itself in any way. This is the main danger of the disease: a person can live for a long time, not knowing about the threat hanging over him. The further clinical picture of the sick directly from the site of localization of the artery damaged by stenosis. So, with damage to the vessels of the brain in humans, manifestations of insufficient blood circulation and nutrition of the brain are observed; when arterial stenosis, the patient feels symptoms of heart failure, etc.
The carotid artery is responsible for the supply of nutrients to the brain. If its patency is violated, the following manifestations occur:
- darkening in the eyes;
- noise in ears;
What causes carotid artery disease?
Arterial stenosis has no single cause. Most often, the onset of the illness is associated immediately with a group of external and internal factors, as well as:
- congenital anomalies of the structure of blood vessels – tortuosity, hypoplasia
- dissection of artery walls
- compression of blood vessels by benign or malignant neoplasms
- increased thrombus formation
- metabolic disorder or diabetes mellitus
- strong blow, concussion
- vasculitis, arteritis, Horton's disease, Takayasu's disease, etc.
Before the carotid artery disease treatment initial examination is needed.The specialist measures blood pressure and pulse, listens to the heart rate, conducts a visual examination of the patient's skin. During the conversation, the professional finds out the presence of chronic illnesses in the anamnesis, learns about the intake of blood-thickening drugs, the presence of identified anomalies in the structure of blood vessels. Then the patient is sent for additional studies to clarify the diagnosis.
Treatments for Carotid Artery Stenosis
Depending on the stage of the disease, conservative or carotid artery stenosis surgery treatment can be used.
- Therapeutic carotid artery blockage treatment is used in the early stages of the sickness. Therapy differs depending on the localization of vasoconstriction and the main cause of the development of pathology. So, if vascular stenosis is triggered by the formation of a blood clot in the artery, the patient is prescribed antithrombotic drugs. With atherosclerotic vascular lesions, drugs are prescribed that lower the level of cholesterol in the blood.
- In the event that the narrowing of the lumen of the vessel has reached more than 50%, as well as in the presence of external symptoms (for example, previous ischemic strokes), conservative carotid stenosis treatment methods will not help achieve the desired effect. In this case, doctors resort to surgical intervention.
Stenosis is the main cause of ischemic stroke, myocardial infarction, and other serious illnesses. In this regard, it is necessary to seek medical advice from a specialist already at the first symptoms of vascular pathology.